- Why you need a diamond appraiser.
The services of an independent appraiser are increasingly of importance in today’s complex market environment. As consumers have grown in sophistication and education, diamonds have gotten more costly, and many previously unheard of treatments and ethical issues have arisen, as well. One used to fear that a diamond might be misrepresented as to color, clarity or weight. Now the list of reasonable questions is nearly endless:
- Has the stone had some temporary or permanent treatment applied?
- Is the stone a real diamond, a man-made diamond, a color altered diamond, loaded with filler, or totally phony?
- Will the dealer sell me one stone and deliver another?
- Is the information on the grading document accurate?
- Is the stone damaged?
- Are the grading documents genuine and unaltered?
- Does the diamond match the grading document?
- Is the stone really cut correctly and does the grading paper supply enough information to make an informed decision?
This just covers the major issues. You can see right away that there are many opportunities and reasons to use third party advisory services in these transactions that potentially will cost you thousands of dollars. The only other thing most folks ever buy that is similarly expensive that has no manufacturers “list price” like a new car, is a house. That is why so many appraisers are equally required and needed to confirm real estate transactions. Expert and blind markets require non-experts to hire qualified assistants in order to be secure
( excerpt from Pricescope)